Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Fighting Fleas

This is the sad look of a dog with fleas...

This is our first experience fighting fleas. With our two dogs, we have always relied on the monthly Frontline flea treatments. Apparently this month, the Frontline didn't work for Crosby. :( He had been itching more than usual (our Crosby is a Chinese Crested Powder Puff with extremely sensitive skin...and stomach), I rolled him on his back for a good scratch and I spotted a tiny black flea crawling around his belly!!! 

I really hate the fact that we are already pouring on the chemicals for the monthly Frontline treatments, so I looked for a more all-natural, home remedy for fighting fleas. I searched Pinterest and the internet for ideas and read some rave-reviews about a few cheap grocery items.

I went out to the grocery store and bought coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.

I took Crosby out on the deck and lathered him up with coconut oil. I rubbed it all over his fur, on his belly, and legs. He was loving the doggy-massage and the taste of the coconut oil! While this remedy is pretty messy, it has so many benefits for pets, while not only fighting against fleas. I left the coconut oil in over night and all through the next day (be sure to cover up furniture with blankets/bed sheets). So after 24 hours of my puppy lathered in coconut oil I SPOTTED ANOTHER FLEA! Ugh, as many of you know, this is a such a frustrating process! I immediately took Crosby outside and repeated the lathering of the coconut oil...

24 hours later...since I have gotten home from work, I have been checking my dog about every 20 minutes, in search of one of those pesky insects!! Have not seen one!!! :) (knock on wood).
I also gave him a warm bath to rinse off the greasy coconut oil.


 <Crosby with the coconut oil lathered on...>

*Supposedly the fleas hate the sticky substance and ultimately suffocate from the coconut oil or leave the pet. Whenever fleas are present in the house, be sure to vacuum frequently and wash linens/blankets that have been in contact with the pet.

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: When searching for all natural remedies to fight fleas, many people had documented great results when using apple cider vinegar. Pet owners put a small amount of the vinegar in their pet's water or you can put the vinegar it in a spray bottle mixed with water and spray it around the house or directly on the pet.
Day 2 using the coconut oil seems to have worked for Crosby, but I will be pulling out the apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle if necessary!

I will be updating the flea fighting progress in a few days! :)

Comments appreciated if anyone has had experience using natural remedies to fight fleas!

Until next time,
~Newly In Nashville

No comments:

Post a Comment